United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Recruitment (2021) is currently ongoing. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations’ global development network. It advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life for themselves. It provides expert advice, training and grants support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries. It promotes technical and investment cooperation among nations.
Headquartered in New York City, the status of UNDP is that of an executive board within the United Nations General Assembly. The UNDP is funded entirely by voluntary contributions from UN member states. The organization operates in 177 countries, where it works with local governments to meet development challenges and develop local capacity.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Graphic Designer for SALW Mapping Report (French)
Additional Category: Democratic Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract: Individual Contract
Post Level: National Consultant
Languages Required: English
Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 24-Jun-2021
Duration of Initial Contract: 20 Days
Expected Duration of Assignment: 20 Days
- A major global prerequisite for peace and the attainment of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) is the effective control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW). Peace and security challenges in West Africa are primarily about responding to the threat of/and actual violent conflicts, as well as building sustainable human security for all within and across national boundaries.
- The proliferation of Small Arms and Light Weapons constitutes one of the major security challenges currently facing the ECOWAS region and its neighbouring regional blocks. The trafficking and wide availability of these weapons fuel communal conflict which create political instability and pose a threat, not only to national security, but also to sustainable development. Despite significant efforts undertaken by ECOWAS over the years, the fight against the trafficking of small arms and light weapons continues to prove a major challenge to the growth and development path of many sub-Saharan countries. Earlier initiatives undertaken by ECOWAS, funded by EU and implemented by UNDP under the 10th EDF provided support to selected member states.
- UNDP with funding support from the German Federal Foreign Office conducted a regional mapping study across the ECOWAS member states to identify all stakeholders and the myriad interventions on SALW in West Africa as a basis for ensuring coherent responses to preventing the proliferation and use of SALW in conflict.
- This will also provide the ECOWAS Conflict Prevention Framework Database and the Prevention of Violent Extremism programme (PVE) with critical information in the form of specific country actors, issues, arms dynamics, interventions, successes, impacts, and lessons. The mapping study collects data related to SALW project interventions in West Africa, lessons learnt, best practices as well as their impacts on host governments’ ownership on security governance. The study has been completed and a report produced and formatted in English.
- This consultancy assignment will entail formatting and inputting graphic design, layout design and aesthetic pictures, charts, and maps into the consolidated mapping report (French version) submitted by the consultants. The final report will project the graphic design to align with the charts and maps for each country featured therein to illustrate and highlight the substance of the report.
- The consultant will produce graphic design for the development of infographics and data graphics inconsistent with the English version of the mapping report as produced.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and overall guidance of the Programme Analyst SALW, and in close collaboration with the project team, the Consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Develop conceptual graphics based on contents of the reports.
- Conduct photographic and design as needed.
- Submit the preliminary layouts for discussion with UNDP.
- Revise the selected layout as discussed with UNDP.
- Design and layout the graphics for the publication.
- Submit the publication to UNDP for proofreading (2-3 rounds of corrections needed)
- Ensure all corrections have been inserted.
- Obtain a final sign-off from UNDP before submitting electronic files to the printer.
- Prepare PDF for posting, including hotlinks.
- Prepare the electronic files for the printer and send files to designated UNDP-contracted printer via FTP for publication.
- Prepare visual presentation of the consolidated annual report in slides (using Prezi).
Required Skills and Experience
- The preferred candidates for this consultancy must possess at least a first Degree in International Development, Conflict Prevention and Resolution, Communications, Social Sciences, and other related fields.
- Minimum 4 years experience in report writing related to peace and security.
- Prior experience writing other quantitative and qualitative reports.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
- Ability to work with a multi-cultural and diverse team.
- Ability to produce high-quality research work under pressure of tight schedules and timelines.
- Ability to understand and interpret governance issues and complex development situations.
- Good communication skills, written and oral.
- Ability to motivate staff and work well with others.
- Ability to plan and priorities, and to work under pressure.
- Full proficiency in English.
- Computer literate.
Application Closing Date
16th July, 2021.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Recruitment 2021 is ongoing and you can Apply using the Link above.